Monday 9 April 2012

Easter Weekend Baking Frenzy!

I have been in a bit of a baking frenzy this weekend - I've been baking lots of cupcakes and a gluten free chocolate cake for a friend's baby naming ceremony. I have also been given a portion of starter batter for a 'Herman the German' Friendship cake, which I have been feeding in preparation for his trip to the oven later in the week and I have baked an apple crumble for pudding today.

Will post separately about Herman and the Apple Crumble, but thought I'd give you a sneak peak at a bit of the baking action that BakesWell HQ has seen over the last few days...




The cupcakes were vanilla and chocolate, with handmade daisy and butterfly decorations. Our friend's lovely baby is called Callie, so I decided to spell out her name in honour of the occasion. Other special requests came in the form of diabetic friendly cupcakes (below) and a diva of a gluten-free chocolate cake. I find Xylitol works well to create a sugar free chocolate meringue buttercream which is mousse-like in texture and far lighter than standard buttercream.



The gluten-free chocolate cake is a combination of two recipes from Nigella Lawson and Sophie Dahl, which made Audrey, (the lovely lady who received the cake), one happy gal indeed! 





Just about to tuck in to the apple crumble, so will post later about the rest of my baking adventure...

Until then,
Happy Baking!
Becky Bakeswell x

No comments:

Post a Comment